Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have so numerous new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick way to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has done at least find out here now 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Request information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless individuals all over the world.